All candidates must have a resume and cover letter and must pass a background check and drug screening test.
Seeking a current lifeguard with CPR and first aid certifications. Must maintain a safe environment for members while remaining alert during the entire shift. Candidates must be skilled in lifesaving techniques and emergency response. Lifeguards are responsible for monitoring and recording pool chemicals daily and maintaining the cleanliness of the pool (vacuum, skim, and brush), pool deck, and locker rooms. The job position is part-time, working 20-30 hours Monday through Friday in the Clubs directly with children. To apply, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
Youth Development Professional
Tuition Assistance up to $5,250 per year is available for all part-time staff!
Hours of Operation
- School Year: Monday-Friday 2pm-7pm
- Summer: Monday-Friday 7am-7pm
Responsible for overseeing the delivery of a broad range of programs within a designated Clubhouse, such as Education, Special Education, Social Recreation, Arts & Crafts and Physical Education. Plan, develop, oversee implementation and supervise programs and program staff. Job position is part-time, working 20-30 hours a week.
- Plan and oversee the administration of designated Clubhouse programs and activities that support Youth Development Outcomes:
- Establish Clubhouse program objectives consistent with organizational goals and mission.
- Oversee the provision of day-to-day program activities in accordance with established standards and goals.
- Ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas/activities and receive instruction and constructive feedback to develop skills in program area(s).
- Demonstrate leadership to assure conduct, safety and development of members.
Program Development and Implementation
- Establish and maintain Clubhouse program goals and settings that insure the health and safety of members. Ensure that site staff understand and effectively communicate standards of program; that they ensure program areas are safe, well ventilated and well lit; and that club equipment is maintained in good working condition.
- Ensure the evaluation of Club programs on a continual basis and ensures programs/activities respond to member needs and address their gender and cultural diversity.
- Control Clubhouse program and activity expenditures within approved budget.
- Allocate and monitor work assigned to program volunteers and staff, providing ongoing feedback and regular appraisal. Identify and support training and development opportunities for assigned volunteers and staff.
- Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events conducted, breakdowns of daily participation figures, notable achievements and any problems/issues.
- Ensure productive and effective performance by all program staff and volunteers.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Increase visibility of Club programs via posting of daily schedule, announcements of upcoming events and the dissemination of timely information for the development of advertising and promotion through mailings, fliers and media releases.
- May oversee special programs and/or events (i.e. Keystone, Youth of the Year and Awards Programs), and/or participate in the implementation of other unit activities as necessary.
- May be required to drive Club van periodically.
- May consult with parents concerning member and branch issues.
- May handle deposits and banking transactions.
Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain or interpret guidelines/instructions; instruct, and advise/counsel.
External: Maintain contact as needed with external community groups, schools, member’s parents and other to assist in resolving problems.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Group leadership skills, including an understanding of group dynamics.
- Demonstrated organizational, staff and project management abilities.’
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $12.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Monday to Friday
- Childcare: 1 year (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations
All Clubs are currently hiring. To apply, please e-mail your resume, phone number, and convenient contact times to [email protected].
Employee Hire Policies
Equal Employment Opportunity
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula is an equal opportunity employer. The Organization is committed to the spirit and letter of all federal, state and local laws and regulations pertaining to equal opportunity. To this end, the Organization does not discriminate against any individual with regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or other protected status. This policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, as well as the use of all Organization facilities. No form of unlawful discrimination, including unlawful harassment, will be condoned.
Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula is committed to creating and maintaining a Drug-Free Workplace. This policy applies to all applicants for employment and to all employees in all job classifications. Substance abuse, which includes the possession, use, or sale of illegal drugs or the unlawful use of lawful substances including alcohol and prescription drugs, will not be tolerated during working hours, on Organization premises, or at any non-personal, Organization-sponsored or Organization-related function. It is a condition of employment at the Organization to refrain from using drugs and the unlawful use of lawful substances, including alcohol and prescription medicines.
Immigration and Employment Eligibility
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula will hire only those individuals who are authorized to work in the United States. All employees must complete a federal I-9 form as a condition of employment.
BGCVP is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and donations are tax-deductible as permitted by law. Our tax identification number is 54-0538202.
Newport News, VA 23606